In this 12-part series with Yachting World, round the world racer and renowned expedition sailor Skip Novak explains the fundamentals of preparing and sailing safely through heavy weather conditions. This collection of in-depth features, prepared and filmed while sailing round Cape Horn in Skip’s yacht Pelagic, features interactive photos, diagrams and videos to take you through all aspects of storm preparation:
* Choosing the right yacht design features
* Tours of his two expedition yachts: 54ft steel cutter Pelagic and 72ft Pelagic Australis
* Preparing the deck
* Choosing and using storm sails
* Heaving to as a method to ride out a gale
* Heavy weather reefing made easy
* Sail design features for long-distance sailing
* Anchoring gear and techniques
* Using lines to tie securely to shore
* Choosing and using a tender for expeditions ashore
* Sounding uncharted anchorages
* Using warps and drogues in storm conditions.
Skip Novak’s Storm Sailing collection is an essential reference for anyone planning ocean sailing or dreaming of cruising off the beaten track.
Contains 12 videos.